Homemade Apple Dumplings with Caramel Sauce Recipe
When our apples become ripe, it's not unusual for me to make as many as 30 of these fruity dumplings! I've relied on the recipe for more than 50 years.
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 7 medium tart apples, peeled and cored
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 teaspoons sugar and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. In a small bowl, combine 1 egg, water and vinegar; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide into seven portions.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 7-in. square. Place an apple on each pastry square; place 1 tablespoon butter in the center of each. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over apples.
- 3. Bring up corners of pastry to center; pinch edges to seal. Beat remaining egg; brush over pastry. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until smooth and blended. Pour over apples. Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until apples are tender and pastry is golden brown, basting occasionally with sauce. Serve warm. Yield: 7 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 974 calories, 47 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 729 mg sodium, 134 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC