Homemade Apple Dumplings with Caramel Sauce Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 7 medium tart apples, peeled and cored
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 teaspoons sugar and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. In a small bowl, combine 1 egg, water and vinegar; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide into seven portions.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 7-in. square. Place an apple on each pastry square; place 1 tablespoon butter in the center of each. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over apples.
- 3. Bring up corners of pastry to center; pinch edges to seal. Beat remaining egg; brush over pastry. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until smooth and blended. Pour over apples. Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until apples are tender and pastry is golden brown, basting occasionally with sauce. Serve warm. Yield: 7 servings.
1 each: 974 calories, 47g fat (19g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 729mg sodium, 134g carbohydrate (100g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein
Reviews for Homemade Apple Dumplings with Caramel Sauce
"although i loved the flavor and idea of this recipe. i had the hardest time getting the dough to stick to the apple. it would just fall apart. and on the ones that did stay together long enough for me to place them in the pan, the didn't stay that way for long. after they baked in the sauce they came undone and left the apples... dare i say naked and the coating drowning in the bottom of the pan.don't get me wrong they were delicious and i would gladly make them again if someone could tell me how to keep them together."
"This recipe turned out AMAZING! While it was more time consuming than I thought, it was well worth the effort. My husband was licking the bottom of the pan!"