Homemade Apple Cider Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups apple cider or juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown beef on all sides in oil over medium-high heat; drain. Add the cider, vinegar, salt if desired, thyme and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- 2. Add the potatoes, carrots, celery and onions; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- 3. Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings.
One 1-cup serving (prepared without salt) equals 315 calories, 12 g fat (0 saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 238 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Homemade Apple Cider Beef Stew
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.