- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups apple cider or juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef on all sides in oil over medium-high heat; drain. Add the cider, vinegar, salt if desired, thyme and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, celery and onions; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Homemade Apple Cider Beef Stew
"I loved this stew, though my husband prefers stew without the apple cider. I think it adds just enough sweetness! It got rather thick and by the third night (I loved it so much I ate it 3 nights in a row!) there was no sauce. Next time I think I will follow a previous reviewer's suggestion of adding some water (or maybe beef broth). Plan to make again next week."
"This weeks ingredient challenge was apples. I added parsnips and rutabagas to the ingredients and cooked it in my pressure cooker which only took 20 minutes! I like to refrigerate stew at least overnight for the flavors to blend so I made it on Sunday. I waited to thicken it until last night. I brought the stew to a high simmer and added a slurry of cornstarch, water, and browning sauce. The apple cider and apple cider vinegar made the gravy very savory. It's a keeper!"
"My absolute favorite stew recipe. I'm not huge on onions and I'm not the biggest meat eater, so I half both of those ingredients. Otherwise, I love this stew. It is sweet and savory, and everything is tender and delicious mixed with the apple cider/juice flavor."
"This was good but had too much cider for me. Next time I'll replace part of the cider with beef broth"
"This was excellent. I made it in the crockpot. Turned out wonderful."