- 2 packages (1 pound each) spiral pasta
- 4 to 5 large tomatoes, chopped
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 large green peppers, chopped
- 2 cans (15 to 16 ounces each) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound thinly sliced Genoa salami, julienned
- 1 pound sliced pepperoni, julienned
- 1/2 pound provolone cheese, cubed
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives, halved
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups olive oil
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; rinse with cold water. In several large bowls, combine pasta with next eight ingredients.
- For dressing, pulse vinegar, sugar, oregano and seasonings in a blender. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, 4 hours or overnight. Yield: 50 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Homemade Antipasto Salad
"What a "crowd pleaser" !"
"So good! I did quarter the recipe because it's just the 2 of us. Didn't add beans or olives but I did add marinated mushrooms (quartered), and marinated artichokes (quartered). Also things on a great antipasti platter. Loved the meat and cheese! I also used fresh moz I had to use up."
"Favorite picnic salad - LOVE the dressing! Omitted the beans and black olives. Sprinkled with shredded Parmesan."
"Excellent! Skipped the beans."
"Great, everyone liked it"
"Love the flavor. The dressing is a wonderful change from bottled Italian dressing. My husband and I eat this as the main dish for lunch as it has the meats. I do not always use the garbanzo beans (or beans at all). It is so good."
"Very good recipe. I make it often for potluck meals, and the only ingredients I change are the green peppers (use red instead) and navy or kidney beans instead of the garbanzo beans."
"So we've Americanized an Italian dish...Whoopie! Didn't need the lecture. The salad is great, Linda! I've taken it to potlucks, funeral meals and family reunions and always get compliments and asked for the recipe. Sometimes I add summer squash to give more it color."