Home-Style Yeast Bread Recipe
Everyone likes the tender texture and slightly sweet taste of this homemade bread. When I'm in the mood to bake, I usually double the recipe and share loaves with friends. The dough also makes lovely rolls. -Launa Shoemaker, Landrum, South Carolina
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 6 to 7 cups bread flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, butter, salt, eggs and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; turn onto a floured surface. Divide in half. Shape into loaves and place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice equals 118 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 135 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC