Home-Style Yeast Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 6 to 7 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, butter, salt, eggs and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a floured surface. Divide in half. Shape into loaves and place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Home-Style Yeast Bread(8)
Sort By :
Great recipe and so easy!
We love this bread. I use it at Christmastime to give as gifts. I double it and freeze them. My kids teachers look forward to this bread.
I love this bread. It makes very moist loaves. Not sure why but this particular bread rises really fast. I substited honey for the sugar.
This made a wonderful loaf of bread! I used honey instead of sugar and substituted a couple cups of whole wheat flour instead of all bread flour and it was great. It stayed moist for days instead of drying out once you cut into it. Very nice!
This is the third version I have seen for this recipe. The original printed in the magazine called for 1 pkg. yeast and 1 cup sugar. The second one I saw called for 3 pkg. yeast and 1 cup sugar. I've been using the version with 3 pkg. yeast and 1 cup sugar and it turns out beautifully! My 7 year old even asked me to NOT buy store bought bread anymore because he likes this better!