- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen vegetables for stew
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium onion soup mix
- Place vegetables in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown beef on all sides.
- Transfer to slow cooker. Combine the remaining ingredients; pour over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Yield: 5 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Home-Style Stew
"My husband made me promise to cook this again before the end of the month. He said that the gravy was the best he'd ever tasted!"
"I was skeptical at first about this. The soup combination sounded strange. I used fresh carrots, celery, and potatoes. Then added a can of mushrooms with the water. I had a package of garlic and onion dry dip mix that I'd had for a while that we had purchased at a craft fair so I put that in along with a partial package of onion soup mix. Cooked per instructions and it was the most yummy stew I've ever eaten. My husband loved it and had some buttered bread so he could mop up the gravy. It was a hit and so easy to make. This is my go to stew recipe now."
"I am trying this for the first time. First time I have ever made stew. I have it on low but it looks like the veggies are browning before the soup mixture even melts along with the frozen veggies. I added a cup of water. Am I doing something wrong?"
"Great recipe. I used Bloody Mary mix instead of Tomato soup ."
"THEE BEST I followed the recipe exactly.... the last half hour I added dumplings. I have served it many times to many friends. They all raved about it. Thank you Taste of home!"