Home-Style Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
“My mother-in-law introduced me to her hamburger gravy, and I modified it slightly. We have this every weekend.” —Michele Bapst, Jacksonville, North Carolina
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tube (16.3 ounces) large refrigerated flaky biscuits
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 envelope country gravy mix
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Dash each garlic powder, Italian seasoning, onion powder and pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Bake biscuits according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium
- heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add butter, cook until
- melted. Stir in the gravy mix, flour and seasonings until blended.
- Gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1
- minute or until thickened. Serve with biscuits. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 biscuit with 1/2 cup gravy equals 412 calories, 26 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 1,208 mg sodium,