Home-Style Roast Beef Recipe
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (10 to 12 pounds)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10-1/4 ounces) beef gravy
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 3 tablespoons dill weed
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 4-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 large onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 8 bacon strips
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1. Place roast in a large roasting pan with fat side up. In a small bowl, combine the broth, gravy, soup, water, Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce; pour over roast. Sprinkle with seasonings. Arrange onion slices over roast. Place bacon strips diagonally over onion. Dot with butter.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours or until the meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Yield: 25-30 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 259 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 487 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 31 g protein.
Reviews for Home-Style Roast Beef
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.