Home-Style Refried Beans
Lime juice, cumin and cayenne pepper make these beans so tasty, particularly when compared to the canned variety. I like to dress them up with reduced-fat cheese and salsa. —Myra Innes of Auburn, Kansas
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the
- garlic, cumin, salt and cayenne; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add
- beans and mash. Add water; cook and stir until heated through and
- water is absorbed. Remove from the heat; stir in lime juice. Yield:
- 2-2/3 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/3 cup equals 123 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 290 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.