Home-Style Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 beef eye round roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups plus 1/3 cup water, divided
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 16 small red potatoes, halved
- 5 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1. Coat the roast with 2 tablespoons flour. In a nonstick Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides in oil over medium-high heat; drain. Add 1-1/2 cups water, wine, bouillon and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- 2. Add the potatoes, carrots and onions; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove meat and vegetables; keep warm.
- 3. Pour pan juices into a measuring cup; skim fat. Add enough water to measure 2 cups. In a small saucepan, combine remaining flour and water until smooth. Stir in salt and browning sauce if desired. Gradually stir in the 2 cups pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast and vegetables. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 341 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 500 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.