We took advantage of the leftover Cheddar Cheese Sauce to prepare this comforting casserole from reader Phyllis Schmalz. The Kansas City, Kansas cook coats macaroni, ham and chopped onion with the creamy mixture before popping the much-loved combination into the oven to bake.
Recommended: 45 Comfort Food Mashups
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the macaroni, ham, cheese sauce, salt and pepper. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Home-Style Mac 'N' Cheese in Quick Cooking January/February 2002, p48
Reviews for Home-Style Mac 'N' Cheese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review