Home-Style Hearty Meat Pie Recipe
Our Test Kitchen created this savory meat pie that’s a sure way to warm up any cold winter night.
- 1 boneless beef chuck steak (1/2 pound), cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons brown gravy mix
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon water, divided
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 tablespoon beaten egg
- 1. In a small skillet, brown beef in oil; set aside. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine gravy mix and 1/2 cup water. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. In a large bowl, combine the beef, potato, carrot, onion, parsley, garlic and seasonings; stir in 1 tablespoon gravy. Set aside remaining gravy.
- 2. Place pastry on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spoon meat mixture over half of pastry. Fold pastry over filling and seal edges tightly with a fork; cut slits in the top. Combine egg and remaining water; brush over top.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Warm reserved gravy; serve with pie. Yield: 2 servings.
1/2 pie with 1/4 cup gravy equals 813 calories, 42 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 1,341 mg sodium, 77 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 30 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC