Grated carrots and cheese add a hint of color and good taste to this nourishing, homey loaf. And my family always looks forward to meatloaf sandwiches the next day! —Sandy Etelamaki, Ishpeming, Michigan
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed saltines (about 30 crackers)
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, cheese, saltines, carrots, onion, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50 minutes.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan, bring the brown sugar, ketchup and mustard to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until heated through. Spoon over meat loaf.
- Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Drain; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Glazed Meat Loaf in Taste of Home October/November 2005, p39
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Home-Style Glazed Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review