Home-Style Cran-Raspberry Pie Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 2-1/4 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1-1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. In a small bowl, combine the egg yolk, cold water and almond extract; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- 2. Divide dough in half so that one ball is slightly larger than the other. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger ball to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate; trim even with edge of plate.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the cranberries, raspberries, 1-1/4 cups sugar, tapioca and extract; stir gently and let stand for 15 minutes. Spoon filling into crust; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Brush with egg white; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- 4. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30-35 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 503 calories, 22 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 324 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.