Home-Style Country Sausage Recipe
"My family loves sausage, but I wanted to reduce the fat and calories," confides Linda Murray of Allenstown, New Hampshire. "This version, which uses ground turkey, is nicely spiced with garlic, sage, allspice, thyme and cayenne pepper."
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 20 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight 1/2-in. thick patties.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook patties for 4-6 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Yield: 8 patties.
One patty equals 111 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 348 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC