Home-Style Black-Eyed Pea Soup
This colorful hearty soup makes a good starter or main course. With a salad on the side, it's a light dinner for two.—Yvonne Peterson, Mountain View, Missouri
2 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup Italian stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch salt
- In a large saucepan, saute celery and onion in butter until tender.
- Add the peas, water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Stir in the ham,
- Italian seasoning, pepper and salt. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered,
- for 20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1-1/4 each) equals 272 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 1,314 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 18 g protein.