Home-Style Black Bean Soup Recipe
Blending some of the beans gives this soup just the right consistency. (After rinsing your blender container, remember to leave it out for the Peachy Fruit Smoothies!)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Minced fresh cilantro, parsley, sour cream and/or tortilla chips, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- 2. In a blender, combine 1/2 cup chicken broth and 1 can beans; cover and process until smooth. Add to onion mixture.
- 3. Stir in the tomatoes, cumin, garlic salt, remaining beans and remaining broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with cilantro, parsley, sour cream and tortilla chips if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 101 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 786 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC