This basic sauce from our home economists delightfully dresses up ordinary vegetables. We also offer a few variations for tasty twists.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Dash pepper
- In a small heavy saucepan or double boiler, whisk the egg yolks,
- water and lemon juice. Cook and stir over low heat or simmering
- water until mixture bubbles around edges and reaches 160°, about
- 20 minutes.
- Cut cold butter into eight pieces; add to yolk mixture, one piece at
- a time, stirring after each addition until melted. Stir in the salt,
- paprika and pepper. Serve immediately. Yield: 1 cup.
Sauce Mousseline: Prepare as directed. Gently fold in 1/2 cup whipped cream. Yield: 1-1/3 cups.
Ancho Chili Sauce: Prepare as directed, except decrease lemon juice to 1/2 teaspoon. Stir in 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground ancho chili pepper and 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin. Yield: 1 cup.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 124 calories,