This traditional sauce shared by our test kitchen adds an elegant touch to fresh steamed asparagus. The rich lemony mixture is the typical sauce for eggs Benedict and is also delicious served over broccoli.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Dash white pepper
- In a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water, constantly
- whisk the egg yolks, water and lemon juice until mixture reaches
- 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
- Reduce heat to low. Slowly drizzle in warm melted butter, whisking
- constantly. Whisk in the salt, paprika and pepper. Serve
- Yield: 1 cup.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 124 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 155 mg sodium, trace carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.