This torte is one of my grandma's best-loved recipes-tender layers of nut-filled cake put together with apricot glaze and cream cheese frosting. It's heavenly! —Eileen Korecko, Hot Springs Village, Arkansas
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts, divided
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Combine the flour, walnuts, baking powder and salt; beat into egg mixture. Beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir preserves and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Set aside 1/2 cup. Brush remaining glaze over cake tops.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Spread 1/2 cup frosting over one cake; top with second cake and 3/4 cup frosting. Sprinkle 1/2 cup walnuts over the top.
- Brush reserved glaze over sides of cake; press remaining walnuts onto sides. Pipe remaining frosting around top edge of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Holiday Walnut Torte in Country Woman December/January 2009, p21
Reviews for Holiday Walnut Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review