Holiday Tortellini Soup Recipe
Hearty and full of flavor, this Italian-style soup freezes well if you want to make it ahead or have leftovers to save for another day.—Michelle Goggins, Cedarburg, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta or bacon, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 8 ounces fresh spinach, rinsed and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pancetta. Cook until crisp. Add onion; cook 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook tortellini according to package directions; drain. Add cooked tortellini to soup mixture. Stir in crushed tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes. Add spinach and cook just until wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup equals 245 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 1,221 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC