Holiday Sugar Cookies Recipe
Katie Koziolek of Hartland, Minnesota adds a hint of lemon to these delightful sugar cookies. For make-ahead convenience, freeze the dough up to three months, then thaw in the fridge before baking and decorating them.
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- Green food coloring
- Red-hot candies
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon peel and vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Shape into three 10-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- 2. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, milk and food coloring until smooth; transfer to a resealable plastic bag; drizzle over cookies in the shape of a Christmas tree. Place one red-hot at the top of each tree. Yield: about 9-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 169 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 97 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC