- out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to
- cool completely.
- For frosting, in a saucepan, combine sugar and water. Bring to a
- boil; cook over medium-high heat until a thermometer reads 244°
- (firm-ball stage).
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a bowl on high
- speed until foamy. Slowly pour the hot sugar syrup over the egg
- whites while beating continuously. Continue beating on high until
- stiff glossy peaks form, about 7 minutes. Add vanilla; beat until
- frosting cools slightly and reaches desired consistency.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup
- frosting. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup coconut. Repeat layers. Top with
- remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cakes with remaining
- frosting; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Refrigerate until
- serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 376 calories, 12 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 97 mg cholesterol, 195 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.