Holiday Snow Globe Cake Recipe
I can change up the decorations on this cake depending on the holiday—or birthday. My daughter loves this Christmas version. —Marie Louise Ludwig, Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- Frosted Christmas Tree (see below)
- Porcelain snowman ornament
- 8-inch glass bubble bowl (about 6-inch opening)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line bottoms of two greased 8-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in rum. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with coconut milk, beating well after each addition.
- 3. With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold into batter. Transfer batter to prepared pans.
- 4. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- 5. Using a long serrated knife, trim tops of cakes if domed. In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- 6. Place one cake layer on a serving plate, bottom side down. Spread jam over top to within 3/4 in. of edge; top with 1/2 cup whipped cream. Place second cake layer over whipped cream, bottom side up.
- 7. Spread remaining whipped cream over top and sides of cake; sprinkle with coconut. Refrigerate at least 15 minutes. Just before serving, place Frosted Christmas Tree and snowman on center of cake. Carefully invert bowl over decorations. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 512 calories, 29 g fat (20 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 356 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Holiday Snow Globe Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC