Holiday Pumpkin Pie Recipe
With a flaky, from-scratch crust, creamy filling and crunchy sugar topping, this will likely be the best pumpkin pie you've ever tasted! One pie may not be enough to please your family.—Kim Adams Johnson, Lincoln, Nebraska
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- 2 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons turbinado (washed raw) sugar or granulated sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Roll out pastry to fit a metal 9-in. pie pan. Transfer pastry to pie pan. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a large saucepan, heat the cream, milk, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, ginger and cloves until bubbles form around sides of pan. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar. Remove cream mixture from the heat; stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk mixture. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in pumpkin and vanilla. Pour into pie shell.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 5. If using a creme brulee torch, sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Heat sugar with the torch until caramelized. If broiling the pie, place pie on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Broil 8 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 439 calories, 29 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 185 mg cholesterol, 254 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC