Holiday Pinwheels Recipe
The first time I made these pretty cookies, my husband ate the whole batch in just a few days! The fun green swirls are also great for St. Patrick's Day.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Green food coloring
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in corn syrup and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. To one portion, add peppermint extract and food coloring. Wrap each portion in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- 2. On a baking sheet, roll out each portion between two sheets of waxed paper into a 14-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove waxed paper. Place plain rectangle over green rectangle. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- 3. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 161 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 155 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC