"My mom used to 'dress up' peas with buttered cracker crumbs when I was little and it remains one of my favorite dishes. Just about any type of savory crackers can be substituted, including herb-flavored varieties."
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup finely crushed wheat crackers
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Place peas in a large saucepan; add salt. Cover with water. Bring to
- a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until
- Meanwhile, toss the cracker crumbs, cheese and butter. Drain peas and
- place in a serving bowl; top with crumb mixture.
- Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 87 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 523 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.