Holiday Ham Kabobs Recipe
A little sugar and spice make these ham-stacked skewers oh-so-nice as an Easter entree. The colorful kabobs are simple to broil in the oven...or grill them outdoors if weather allows.
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into chunks
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham (1-inch cubes)
- 1. Drain the pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons juice; set pineapple aside (discard remaining juice or save for another use). In a saucepan, combine the juice, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- 2. Place sweet potatoes in another saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain.
- 3. On metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread sweet potatoes, green pepper, ham and pineapple. Brush with brown sugar mixture. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until heated through and peppers are tender, basting occasionally. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 442 calories, 22 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 870 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC