Holiday Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- 8 cups cut fresh green beans (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. Place beans in a Dutch oven and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Stir in flour, onion and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in beans and cheese until blended.
- 3. Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray (dish will be full). Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over the top.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, 12-16 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
2/3 cup equals 144 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 108 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.