Holiday Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- 8 cups cut fresh green beans (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. Place beans in a Dutch oven and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Stir in flour, onion and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in beans and cheese until blended.
- 3. Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray (dish will be full). Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over the top.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, 12-16 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
2/3 cup: 144 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
Reviews for Holiday Green Bean Casserole
"Yum.. I never cared for the greasy fried onions but GBC is always tradition..Thank you for this great recipe.. I wonder if we are related :) Sutton my Fathers decedents came from England, and settled in N.Y. Food and History, what could be better?Blessings"
"I HATE green bean casserole and LOVE this. Ten kids...and every single one of them is a fan.Oh, and a suggestion to the lady with the sour cream problem - greek yogurt. This is a Thanksgiving staple at our house....3 years running"
"I got rave reviews from all on this dish. I did add some seasoning salt to the creamy mixture to boost the seasoning. I used a bag of fresh cut green beans. I also used the almonds and french fried onions for the topping. I even pre cooked the beans the day before and then assembled and baked the next day. A keeper!"
"I read the reviews before I started cooking and made some adjustments based on them. I added salt to the beans while they were cooking but several people commented it needed more salt. I will add salt to the creamy mushroom mixture next time. I tripled the amount of dried onion and thought it could have used a little more. This recipe was more work than the traditional green bean casserole I've always made, but I liked this one better and besides the salt comments, it got good reviews by my family and in-laws this Thanksgiving."
"What is with people who have not tried the recipe, but gve only one star saying, "We don't do sour cream. We don't like the taste or the fat and calories." You are supposed to rate the recipe after you've made it, NOT the ingredients! duh!"
"Very bland version of the traditional green bean casserole. It definitely lack salt and pepper. I cooked my beans in a salted water bath as I normally do and it helped, but the cream base needs help too. I also quadrupled the amount of dried onion and I think it could even use a bit more. Probably not going to work this recipe again. However, the swiss cheese was a nice touch."
"I substituted frozen, thawed green beans but was unimpressed overall with the texture of beans and lack of flavor as well."
"I might rate it higher if I could find a substitute for the sour cream. We don't do sc. We don't like the taste or the fat and calories!"
"Let me start off by saying that I have always hated green beans! However, the picture of these holiday green beans really made me want to give them a try. To my surprise, I LOVED them! This is the first time I haven't wanted to gag eating a green bean! I even ate the leftovers! This recipe is now a family favorite. Thank you Laura for getting me to eat a veggie that I've despised since childhood. :)"
"My family found this dish to lack flavor. We all felt that it was missing something to give it more taste."