- 1 fully cooked bone-in ham (10 to 12 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups ginger ale
- 1 cup honey
- 1 can (16 ounces) pineapple slices, drained
- Remove skin from ham; score the surface, making diamond shapes 1/2 in. deep. Insert a clove in every other diamond; set remaining cloves aside.
- Place ham on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Combine the onion, garlic, oregano, basil and pepper; pat onto ham. Combine 1/2 cup brown sugar and parsley; sprinkle over top of ham. Pour ginger ale around ham.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours, basting often.
- Remove ham from pan; set aside. Drain pan juices, reserving 3 tablespoons. For glaze, combine honey, remaining brown sugar and reserved pan juices in a small bowl.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°. Return ham to pan. Insert remaining cloves into ham. Spoon half of the glaze over ham. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Place pineapple on ham; drizzle with remaining glaze. Bake 30 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 140°. Yield: 30 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Holiday Glazed Baked Ham
"LOVE this recipe! It has become our Christmas (and sometimes Easter) tradition. Just watch out for the cloves when you're eating!"
"This was the best tasting ham I ever ate. I have made it a few times and will continue to always bake my hams this way."
"This recipe was a big hit. It was the best tasting ham I ever ate. I found it in the 2002 Taste of Home cookbook.This is the only way I will fix baked ham in the future."
"I wish there were a picture for this recipe. I'm so glad I made it anyway. The onion and spices offset the sweet and make an intriguing combination. My all-time favorite ham. Only recipe I use, now. The broth makes wonderful gravy for mashed potatoes and it so good left over, too. Try it! You'll be hooked too."