Holiday Gingerbread Trifle Recipe
My husband and I both enjoy this delicious dessert during the winter holidays, but we lighten it up by using Splenda Brown Sugar Blend and Lite Cool Whip. —Eileen Ballance, Norfolk, Virginia
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger
- 1. In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Remove from the heat. In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, nutmeg, salt and gelatin mixture.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and remaining vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Fold 4 cups whipped cream into pumpkin mixture. Cover and refrigerate while preparing cake. Refrigerate remaining whipped cream.
- 3. For gingerbread, in a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, then molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Beat in hot water.
- 4. Transfer to a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 22-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into cubes.
- 5. In a 5-qt. trifle bowl or glass serving bowl, layer 4 cups gingerbread cubes, half of the pumpkin mixture and half of the whipped cream. Repeat with remaining gingerbread and pumpkin. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- 6. Just before serving, spread remaining whipped cream over pumpkin mixture. Carefully arrange remaining gingerbread around edge of bowl; sprinkle with crystallized ginger. Yield: 18 servings.
Reviews for Holiday Gingerbread Trifle
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC