Holiday Gingerbread Cupcakes Recipe
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil, egg whites and egg until well blended. Add applesauce and molasses; mix well. In a small bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and salt; gradually beat into applesauce mixture until blended.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. Just before serving, top each cupcake with 1 tablespoon whipped topping. Yield: 21 cupcakes.
1 each: 189 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 221mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 1 fat
Reviews for Holiday Gingerbread Cupcakes
"Can ap flour be substituted for the wheat flour?"
"Haven't tried yet but plan to -- are these standard size cupcakes or the smaller ones?"
"Great flavor, the molasses really stood out though so maybe next time I would just use a little less molasses. I frosted them with a thin vanilla frosting, turned out great!"
"Enjoyed these not too sweet cupcakes. Great with a cup of coffee."
"Definitely a keeper in my books! I used canned frosting b/c they were going to be displayed at a party and was afrad the icing would melt."
"these were different, the molasses taste came through real strong, would recommend using the whipped topping to cut the spicy taste...also mine came out with the tops of cupcakes indented, not rounded as a normal cupcake"
"great idea. Good flavor and just the right amount for one serving at a time. Made them and gave some as gifts."
"Made for Christmas eve celebration. Piped creamcheese icing on them. They were a big hit. Very moist and flavorful."
"I made these for our dessert for Christmas Day and it was wonderful! Very flavourful and very moist. I will be making these again!!!"
"loved the recipe!! one question...where do you find such wonderdul cupcake holders??"
"A wonderful alternative to fruitcake. Thanks"
"I was thrilled to find a recipe using whole wheat because I try to use whole grains as much as possible. In fact, I made them using ALL whole wheat flour. They were great!"
"I found this recipe to be okay - nothing very special. I would probably not make it again."
"made them and they were great. My granddaughter loved them!!!"
"Very good and would make these again"
"These are wonderful! Tried and the Gingerbread was a real treat!"