- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil, egg whites and egg until well blended. Add applesauce and molasses; mix well. In a small bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and salt; gradually beat into applesauce mixture until blended.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Just before serving, top each cupcake with 1 tablespoon whipped topping. Yield: 21 cupcakes.
Reviews for Holiday Gingerbread Cupcakes
Sort By :
"Can ap flour be substituted for the wheat flour?"
"Haven't tried yet but plan to -- are these standard size cupcakes or the smaller ones?"
"Great flavor, the molasses really stood out though so maybe next time I would just use a little less molasses. I frosted them with a thin vanilla frosting, turned out great!"
"Enjoyed these not too sweet cupcakes. Great with a cup of coffee."
"Definitely a keeper in my books! I used canned frosting b/c they were going to be displayed at a party and was afrad the icing would melt."