Holiday Ginger Cookies Recipe
Add a festive ribbon to gingerbread boys to hang on your Christmas tree or display in other creative ways. Use different shapes of holiday cookie cutters for variety, if you wish. —Cheryl Wilt, Eglon, West Virginia
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Plastic drinking straw
- Frosting of choice, optional
- Thin ribbon
- 1. In a large bowl, beat first five ingredients until blended. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and spices; beat into molasses mixture. Divide dough into four portions. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°. On a well-floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4-in. gingerbread man cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Using a plastic straw, make two holes at the neckline, about 1/2 in. apart.
- 3. Bake until edges are lightly browned, 10-12 minutes. If necessary, reopen holes with straw. Remove cookies to wire racks; cool completely.
- 4. If desired, decorate cookies with frosting; let dry completely. Decorate or string cookies with ribbon. Yield: about 4 dozen.
1 cookie: 102 calories, 2g fat (0g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 83mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0g fiber), 2g protein .
Reviews for Holiday Ginger Cookies
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC