Holiday German Stollen Recipe
I traditionally bake three of these flavorful favorites just before Thanksgiving to enjoy on Christmas and New Year's, too.
- 8-1/2 to 9 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1-3/4 cups butter, softened, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon rum extract, optional
- 1-1/2 cups slivered almonds
- 1 cup each red candied cherries, candied lemon peel and candied orange peel
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the milk and 1-1/2 cups butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Beat in eggs until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Add the almond extract, lemon peel and rum extract if desired. Stir in the almonds, cherries, candied lemon and orange peel and raisins (dough will be slightly sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a heavily floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 15-in. x 8-in. oval. Melt remaining butter. Brush each oval with 1 tablespoon butter and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of the remaining sugar. Fold a long side of oval to within 1/2 in. of the opposite side; press edges lightly to seal. Place in parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheets. Curve ends slightly. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with remaining melted butter; remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine the glaze ingredients; drizzle over stollen. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).
1 serving equals 327 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 263 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Holiday German Stollen
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC