These golden brown birds are tender and juicy, and stuffed with a savory mixture of pork, apple and raisins. "I've had this recipe for some time, and it always makes a great meal," writes Delia Kennedy of Deer Park, Washington.
- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1 medium lemon, cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bacon strip, diced
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup finely chopped apple
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth
- Rub each Cornish hen inside and out with cut lemon. Sprinkle each cavity with salt and pepper; set aside. In a small skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving drippings.
- In a saucepan, cook the pork over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the apple, raisins, broth and bacon. Loosely stuff into hens; skewer openings and tie drumsticks together.
- In the reserved drippings, brown hens on all sides. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Tuck wings under hens. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 40-45 minutes or a meat thermometer reads 180°. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Holiday Game Hens in Taste of Home December/January 2005, p20
Reviews for Holiday Game Hens
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review