- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1 medium lemon, cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bacon strip, diced
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup finely chopped apple
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth
- Rub each Cornish hen inside and out with cut lemon. Sprinkle each cavity with salt and pepper; set aside. In a small skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving drippings.
- In a saucepan, cook the pork over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the apple, raisins, broth and bacon. Loosely stuff into hens; skewer openings and tie drumsticks together.
- In the reserved drippings, brown hens on all sides. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Tuck wings under hens. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 40-45 minutes or a meat thermometer reads 180°. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Holiday Game Hens in Taste of Home December/January 2005, p20
Reviews for Holiday Game Hens
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 29, 2009
"The meat tastes great and is very juicy. I did not like the stuffing but I definitely think it added to the taste."