My family prefers these scrumptious squares to the larger, more traditional fruitcake. Since they're so quick and simple to make, I always include several batches in my annual holiday baking spree.
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 120 wafers)
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 3/4 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/2 cup chopped candied pineapple
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour butter into a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with wafer crumbs. Arrange pecans and fruit over crumbs; press down gently. Combine milk and vanilla; pour evenly over fruit. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Fruitcake Squares in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1997, p34
Reviews for Holiday Fruitcake Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 26, 2008
"Anyone know how to make a fruitcake sugarfree? Since I am a diabetic, I can't eat the regular one. Please send me a recipe at firstname.lastname@example.org"