My family prefers these scrumptious squares to the larger, more traditional fruitcake. Since they're so quick and simple to make, I always include several batches in my annual holiday baking spree.
Recommended: 17 Ways to Get More Fruitcake in Your Life
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 120 wafers)
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 3/4 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/2 cup chopped candied pineapple
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour butter into a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with wafer crumbs. Arrange pecans and fruit over crumbs; press down gently. Combine milk and vanilla; pour evenly over fruit. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Fruitcake Squares in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1997, p34
Reviews for Holiday Fruitcake Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 26, 2008
"Anyone know how to make a fruitcake sugarfree? Since I am a diabetic, I can't eat the regular one. Please send me a recipe at firstname.lastname@example.org"