Holiday Fruit Soup
I remember eating this soup every Christmas while growing up. I considered it a real treat. My mother, who was born in Sweden, made this soup during holidays, and now I carry on the family tradition. I look forward to all of our Swedish Christmas traditions-especially eating this soup. —Enice Jacobson, Wildrose, North Dakota
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1 pound mixed dried fruit (about 4 cups)
- 3/4 cup small pearl tapioca
- 6 cups water, divided
- 5 apples, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- In a large saucepan, combine the fruit, tapioca and 4 cups water.
- Cover and let stand overnight.
- Stir in the apples, sugar and remaining water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until tapioca is
- transparent. Add additional water if necessary. Serve warm or cold
- with a dash of cinnamon. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 260 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 8 mg sodium, 67 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 1 g protein.