This classic Christmas beverage is so smooth and creamy that you can count on friends and family coming back for seconds! Our gang loves it sprinkled with nutmeg.
18 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 25 min. + cooling
- 12 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Additional whipped cream and nutmeg, optional
- In a Dutch oven, whisk together eggs, sugar and salt. Gradually add 1
- qt. of milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until a
- thermometer reads 160°, about 25 minutes. Pour into a large
- bowl; stir in vanilla, nutmeg and remaining milk. Place bowl in an
- ice-water bath; stir frequently until mixture is cool. If mixture
- separates, process in a blender until smooth. Cover and refrigerate
- for at least 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, beat cream in a bowl on high until soft peaks
- form; whisk gently into cooled mixture. Pour into a chilled 5-qt.
- punch bowl. If desired, garnish with whipped cream and sprinkle with
- nutmeg. Yield: 18 servings (about 3/4 cup each).