- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup refrigerated French vanilla nondairy creamer
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 5 to 6 teaspoons refrigerated French vanilla nondairy creamer
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. In a small bowl, mix milk and creamer. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk mixture, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, mix nutmeg and remaining sugar. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in nutmeg mixture. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; flatten slightly with bottom of a glass.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and enough creamer to reach desired consistency. Pipe snowflake designs on cookies as desired. Yield: 7-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Holiday Eggnog Snickerdoodles
"Loved these! I replaced the shortening with butter and lowered the baking temp. They came out just like I hoped they would! Still nice and fluffy, but not too dry. Definitely need to keep them in a sealed container though..."
"The cookie turned out rather dry. When I tried flattening them out more then they turned too hard and just weren't very tasty even with a glass of milk."
"I made this as per the recipe and found them to be very bland and dry."
"I will try them again, but next time i will add cream of tater & eggnog to give it some bite. Also for the outside some more nutmeg and a touch of cinnamon."
"I think I would put some nutmeg into the batter itself if I made these again. I replaced the milk and creamer with eggnog but I still thought they needed a bit more spice! Update: the flavor of these does improve after sitting for a few days! I liked them better without icing."
"I think I'd just use eggnog instead of the creamer..."
"Oh my goodness...total yumminess. I did make a few changes. Since eggnog is in the title, I thought I needed it. Not wanting to waste it, I did substitute it for the evaporated milk. Since they are snickerdoodles, I added a teaspoon of cream of tartar. Like another reviewer, I didn't have rum extract, so I substituted rum. I also added a teaspoon of cinnamon to the nutmeg and sugar mixture. Will definitely make these again."
"oh so very very good. thanks a lot for this rec."
"Where is the eggnog? These are vanilla coffee creamer cookies not eggnog cookies, strange."
"These cookies are great my. Family really in joys them during the holidays."