This classic Christmas beverage is so smooth and creamy that you can count on friends and family coming back for seconds! Our gang loves it sprinkled with nutmeg.
- 12 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Additional whipped cream and nutmeg, optional
- In a Dutch oven, whisk together eggs, sugar and salt. Gradually add 1 qt. of milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until a thermometer reads 160°, about 25 minutes. Pour into a large bowl; stir in vanilla, nutmeg and remaining milk. Place bowl in an ice-water bath; stir frequently until mixture is cool. If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, beat cream in a bowl on high until soft peaks form; whisk gently into cooled mixture. Pour into a chilled 5-qt. punch bowl. If desired, garnish with whipped cream and sprinkle with nutmeg. Yield: 18 servings (about 3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Holiday Eggnog in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1997, p22
Reviews for Holiday Eggnog
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review