Holiday Divinity Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup diced candied cherries
- 1/4 cup diced candied pineapple
- 1. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 250° (hard-ball stage). Remove from the heat.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a stand mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. With mixer running on high speed, carefully pour hot syrup in a slow, steady stream into the mixing bowl. Add vanilla and salt. Beat on high speed just until candy loses its gloss and holds its shape, about 10 minutes. Stir in nuts and fruit.
- 3. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper. Store in airtight containers. Yield: 1-1/4 pounds.
1 each: 289 calories, 7g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 59mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Holiday Divinity
"LOVE divinity! Just make sure you use a stand mixer. It will burn a hand held up (the motor). To lilmiss60, I don't put anything in mine. Just some food coloring. The egg whites need to be room temperature and your bowl and beaters cannot have any grease/oil, etc on them."
"Do you have to have fruit and nuts in it? I'm allergic to some nuts such as walnuts and anything from the walnut family and I don't care very much for candied fruit. Also, should the egg whites be cold or at room temperature?"
"Remember- don't make this on a humid day or the candy will have trouble setting up.Cookinillinois - read instructions again. Stir in fruit & nuts before dropping out on wax paper."
"At what point do you add the fruit and nuts? I've read the recipe 3 times and don't see any mention of adding them."
"This candy really does melt in your mouth. I followed the recipe exact and the candy turned out delicious. I have saved this recipe and will be using over and over again. Thanks to the submitter for this yummy candy recipe.note: add salt into the syrup before you pour over the egg white, if you don't the salt will clump in your candy and some pieces will be too salty."
"easy and yummy!"