- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 to 6 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Food coloring of your choice, optional
- Assorted sprinkles
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, milk and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough into four portions. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate, covered, overnight or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 3-in. holiday cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 5-7 minutes or until edges are lightly brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough cream to reach a spreading consistency. If desired, beat in food coloring. Frost and decorate cookies as desired. Yield: about 10 dozen.
Originally published as Holiday Cutout Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p36
Reviews for Holiday Cutout Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review