Holiday Croutons Recipe
To keep my kids entertained while I was baking one Christmas, I gave them slices of bread and small cookie cutters. The baked product was so cute, I decided to season the following batches and turn them into croutons.—Bonnie Hawkins, Elkhorn, Wisconsin
- 8 bread slices
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Paprika, dill weed, minced chives or dried minced onion
- 1. Cut shapes from bread using 1-1/2 in. Christmas cookie cutters of your choice. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine butter and oil; drizzle over bread and toss to coat. Divide into three batches. Sprinkle each batch with a different seasoning; toss to coat.
- 3. Arrange in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.
1/4 cup croutons equals 97 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 152 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC