To keep my kids entertained while I was baking one Christmas, I gave them slices of bread and small cookie cutters. The baked product was so cute, I decided to season the following batches and turn them into croutons.Bonnie Hawkins, Elkhorn, Wisconsin
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 8 bread slices
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Paprika, dill weed, minced chives or dried minced onion
- Cut shapes from bread using 1-1/2 in. Christmas cookie cutters of
- your choice. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine butter and oil; drizzle over bread and toss
- to coat. Divide into three batches. Sprinkle each batch with a
- different seasoning; toss to coat.
- Arrange in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at
- 300° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, turning
- occasionally. Cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2-1/2
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup croutons equals 97 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 152 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.