To keep my kids entertained while I was baking one Christmas, I gave them slices of bread and small cookie cutters. The baked product was so cute, I decided to season the following batches and turn them into croutons.—Bonnie Hawkins, Elkhorn, Wisconsin
- 8 bread slices
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Paprika, dill weed, minced chives or dried minced onion
- Cut shapes from bread using 1-1/2 in. Christmas cookie cutters of your choice. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine butter and oil; drizzle over bread and toss to coat. Divide into three batches. Sprinkle each batch with a different seasoning; toss to coat.
- Arrange in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Holiday Croutons in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p98
Reviews for Holiday Croutons
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 10, 2015
"I love making these. They're not just for Christmas time! They are great with soups and salads. And it keeps my two-year-old entertained. Now he can help with dinner by using cookie cutters to make different shapes on the bread for croutons."