To keep my kids entertained while I was baking one Christmas, I gave them slices of bread and small cookie cutters. The baked product was so cute, I decided to season the following batches and turn them into croutons.—Bonnie Hawkins, Elkhorn, Wisconsin
- 8 bread slices
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Paprika, dill weed, minced chives or dried minced onion
- Cut shapes from bread using 1-1/2 in. Christmas cookie cutters of your choice. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine butter and oil; drizzle over bread and toss to coat. Divide into three batches. Sprinkle each batch with a different seasoning; toss to coat.
- Arrange in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Holiday Croutons in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p98
Reviews for Holiday Croutons
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 10, 2015
"I love making these. They're not just for Christmas time! They are great with soups and salads. And it keeps my two-year-old entertained. Now he can help with dinner by using cookie cutters to make different shapes on the bread for croutons."