My mother made a variety of spinach dishes when I was growing up. This rich, delicious creamed version is the only one that stayed with me through the years.—Edie DeSpain, Logan, Utah
Recommended: 24 Low-Carb Christmas Recipes
- 4 packages (10 ounces each) fresh spinach, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, place steamer basket over 1 in. of water. Place a fourth of the spinach in basket. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a low boil; steam, covered, 3-4 minutes or just until spinach is wilted. Transfer to a colander; drain. Repeat with remaining spinach.
- When spinach is cool enough to handle, squeeze dry. Coarsely chop spinach.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour, salt and white pepper until blended; gradually whisk in milk and cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese and spinach; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (1/2 cup each).
Originally published as Holiday Creamed Spinach in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014
Reviews for Holiday Creamed Spinach
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review