Holiday Cranberry Yeast Bread Recipe
"Wonderful aromas permeate the house while this bread is baking!" notes Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas. "My family loves it hot from the oven. The cranberries give each slice a yummy hint of sweet-tart flavor...and the whole wheat flour adds a healthy touch to our holiday menus."
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, halved
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 tablespoon Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the cranberries, brown sugar and molasses; let stand for 1 hour. Stir in 1 cup warm water.
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in remaining warm water. Add honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Beat in the butter, salt, allspice, whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour and cranberry mixture until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Punch dough down and turn onto a floured surface; shape into a loaf. Place in a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
One slice equals 163 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 167 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC