"Wonderful aromas permeate the house while this bread is baking!" notes Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas. "My family loves it hot from the oven. The cranberries give each slice a yummy hint of sweet-tart flavor...and the whole wheat flour adds a healthy touch to our holiday menus."
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, halved
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, combine the cranberries, brown sugar and molasses; let stand for 1 hour. Stir in 1 cup warm water.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in remaining warm water. Add honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Beat in the butter, salt, allspice, whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour and cranberry mixture until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and turn onto a floured surface; shape into a loaf. Place in a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Holiday Cranberry Yeast Bread in Light & Tasty December/January 2004, p23
Reviews for Holiday Cranberry Yeast Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review